https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Garden Update/Tomato Plants/Nice Red-Winged Blackbird Photo

Friday, May 23, 2014

Garden Update/Tomato Plants/Nice Red-Winged Blackbird Photo

Welcome back.

As promised I am writing tonight about the vegetable garden progress.  It is slowly but surely coming together.  A garden is always a work in progress as it takes continual work to keep it running.  That is the fun of it for me as I find it very relaxing.  There is always something to do if you want to venture out "in the garden".

The early season vegetables are growing nicely.  The Oregon Sugar Pod Peas that I planted in late April (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/05/planting-peasa-visit-from-great-blue.html) are about an inch high at this point:

Oregon Sugar Pod Peas

The red serpent lettuce that I planted using the winter sowing technique(http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/02/more-winter-sowingseed-starting-supplies.html) and the Brussels sprout plants which I purchased locally are also progressing well:

Red Serpent Lettuce/Brussels Sprouts

The wide rows that I planted (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/05/planting-more-early-season.html) which include spinach, Swiss chard, radishes, and the various types of lettuces that I planted are starting to become established.  Although the plants are thin in spots, they will quickly fill in as they grow and also as I am able to cultivate around them to loosen the soil.  In a few weeks this will look totally different.

Assorted Lettuces/Swiss Chard/Spinach/Radishes

In my last post I wrote about composting manure and the good results I had last summer growing pumpkins and gourds using this compost.  Last fall I disposed of the pumpkins and gourds right on the composted manure that was leftover.  This spring I cleaned out the remaining pieces of pumpkins/gourds, leaving the seeds laying on the surface of the compost. I then covered the seeds with about an inch of composted manure.

I remember my Mom & Dad getting good results with "manure pile" pumpkins and gourds.  These usually grew better than the ones planted in the garden.  So far this spring I am seeing good results as quite a few seeds are already sprouting:

Manure Pile Pumpkins & Gourds


Manure Pile Pumpkins/Gourds

Last but not least, the tomato and pepper plants are also growing nicely in the greenhouse on my porch.  I most likely will start transplanting them into the garden in the next few weeks, since the danger of frost should be dwindling:

Tomato Plants in the Greenhouse

Pepper Plants (Foreground) & Tomato Plants

As an added bonus, I was able to take a nice photo of a red-winged blackbird at the feeder this week.  I have found these birds very difficult to photograph since they will fly away with the least little movement.

Red-Winged Blackbird


Until next time.  Thanks again for reading and for your support.


Clouds at Sunset











No comments:

Post a Comment